Academic Research Assistant- Water Resource Decisions
Bethany Cutts, Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Sciences at the University of Illinois, seeks to hire a six month Academic Hourly to assist with research on Water Resource Decisions.
Primary Position Function/Summary
The main responsibility of the assistant will be to collect, enter, organize, and analyze data as part of an interdisciplinary project focused on perceptions of sustainability in the Upper Mississippi River basin. The applicant will be responsible for assisting in the successful delivery of the social science components of this project and will play a key role in creating data that allows for greater integration of social science into hydrological models developed by Engineers.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
Collecting and analyzing interview responses from science and policy experts, transcribing data from historical tax documents, preparing both data sets for analysis, and conducting analysis as appropriate, establishing and enacting protocols for good data management practices. The applicant will be expected to engage with study participants and be able to articulate the goals of the research project to a wide range of audiences, which may include academic audiences, as well as local community groups, and undergraduate research assistants. Additional duties will vary depending on the experiences and abilities of the person hired.
• Required: Bachelor’s degree.
• Preferred: Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field of social science. Master’s degree in a
social science discipline or other relevant field.
• Required: Proficiency writing, speaking, and reading English. Capacity to interact with research subjects. Ability to learn new things quickly. Good organizational skills. Experience with quantitative data management and analysis.
• Preferred: Practical experience with interdisciplinary environmental research. Experience working with any of the following data collection and analysis methods: cultural consensus analysis, social network analysis, multivariate regression. Previous experience with statistical programs including: ANTHROPAC, R, and UCINET or related analysis programs.
Training (needed to be considered for the position): None required
• Required: Proficiency with a Windows-based computing systems, telephone and internet skills, professionalism, Proficiency writing, speaking, and reading English. Capacity to interact with research subjects. Ability to learn new things quickly. Good organizational skills. Experience with quantitative data management and analysis.
• Preferred: Academic writing experience
Closing Date: January 24, 2013 or until position is filled.
Salary and benefits: This position is for six months. Pay will be commensurate with experience (anticipated range $20-25/hour). The applicant is expected to work 30-35 hours per week. It is not benefits eligible. The position is based on the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign campus. The position may be extended, pending funding availability.
To apply: submit a cover letter describing your interest and relevant experience, CV, and contact information for 3 references as a single .pdf to:
Dr. Bethany Cutts
Please be sure to write “Academic Hourly Application” in the subject line of your application e-mail.